Diploma in General Education
Awarded by SSTC Institute
A Pathway to a University of Wisconsin – River Falls Undergraduate Degree
The University of Wisconsin – River Falls (UWRF) is one of thirteen campuses of the world-renowend University of Wisconsin system. UWRF has signed a credit transfer agreement with SSTC to establish a pathway for students to study at SSTC and UWRF. It is the shared philosophy and belief that quality education and a student’s personal development cannot be sacrificed for growth that seals this agreement between SSTC and UWRF. The Diploma in General Education (DGE) programme consists of 12 course units totaling 40 credit hours. To complete a full undergraduate degree, students would need to complete the balance of 80 credits on campus at UWRF, USA. This DGE fulfills the General Education requirement of any of UWRF’s undergraduate degree programmes over 12 months in Singapore. Upon completion of the DGE programme, all credit hours earned with at least a grade ‘C’ are transferable to any of the undergraduate degree majors available UWRF.
The programme aims to:
- Develop students through a rigorous course studying a wide variety of cross-disciplinary units.
- Teach students critical-thinking skills covering a variety of cross-disciplinary courses through studies in Math, Science, Language, History, Art, Literature, Psychology and Wellness.
- Put the student in good stead when they transition to UWRF to complete the remaining 80 credits on campus in the US.
Full-time: 12 months Part-time: 24 months
Students are required to take 4 to 5 course units in each 14 to 16-week trimester. Full time students take 15 guided-learning hours per week.
Mode of Delivery
Face-to-face lectures, tutorials, paired or group learning, practical science lessons and other interactive activities in line with current best practices.
Assessment / Examinations
Written assignments, class presentations, written projects and examinations where applicable.
- Applicants must be aged 17 years and above.
- Minimum 1 GCE ‘A’ Level pass; or Year 12 education equivalent, or Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Business; or other acceptable foundation programmes.
- English Proficiency of IELTS 5.5/TOEFL iBT 61 or its equivalent. Students who do not meet the required proficiency level will need to enroll for additional English classes before commencement of the programme.
- Other equivalent qualifications may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students are required to pass all 4o credits of the programme.
- Rhetoric & College Writing
- Oral Communication for International Students
- College Writing & Civic Engagement
- History of Pre-Modern East Asia
- Principles of Psychology
- Art Appreciation
- Topics in World Literature
- Calculus I
- Modern Alchemy
- University Physics I
- Environmental Biology
Note: Course units are subject to change without prior notice.
All students need to attend at least 75% of classes and to be eligible for a Certificate of Attendance. Students Pass holders are required to maintain an attendance of 90% and above to meet the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority requirement.
Average Teacher to Student Ratio
Admission to the 2nd year of a 4-year undergraduate degree in any of the available majors at the University of Wisconsin – River Falls (UWRF).
To qualify for credit transfer to UWRF, students must achieve:
- A minimum GPA of 2.0.
- Evidence of English proficiency: TOEFL iBT 78 or IELTS 6.0 or TOEIC 730 taken within the past two years prior to enrolment to UWRF. Degree seeking students who opt to enrol into the English Language Transition (ELT) programme at UWRF may have the TOEFL requirement waived.
- Approval of the F-1 US student visa.
Note: Acceptance to UWRF is subject to terms and requirements.
2020: 7 September
Programme Fees (in Singapore Dollars)
Fees effective from 25 July 2018.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT – FULL TIME
|Hospitalisation & Surgical Insurance||S$100.00|
|Fee Protection Scheme||S$200.00|
|7% Goods & Services Tax||S$1,169.00|
DOMESTIC STUDENT (SIN CITIZEN/SIN PR) – FULL TIME & PART TIME
|Fee Protection Scheme||S177.50|
|7% Goods & Services Tax||S$1,016.93|
Note: Students articulating to UWRF to pursue their degrees will need to pay an articulation fee of SGD$845.30 (including 7% GST).
Diploma in General Education
MODULE SYNOPSIS – DIP GENERAL EDUCATION
Last updated 2 March 2020
ONLINE ENQUIRY FORM